Wednesday 5 December 2007

Career is so overrated

Why do you go to school? Why do you work at the job you work at? I find myself often unconsciously schooling and working so that I can get into that career I want to get into. And I supsect that once one is in his desired career, it is very tempting to go to work every day to get the promotion and the raise.

We moderns like productivity; we value efficiency (often even worship it!). When we meet someone new, one of the first questions we ask is "What do you do for a job?" And of course what else would we ask?! Well, as Robert Hadas observes in his provactive new book Human Goods, Economic Evils,

“…higher concerns made premodern societies economically conservative—they often rejected innovations which would lead to better labor and greater consumption in order to preserve what they perceived to be higher goods of culture and religion. In modern societies, however, the current social order is more often sacrificed for the sake of a greater economic mastery. Indeed, one of the marks of industrial economics is a shift in the balance—to a greater acceptance of the economically efficient and better and to less loyalty to the socially established and virtuous” (70-71).

Premoderns knew better than we do that economic life should be subordinated to the higher things of life. For moderns, however, career defines people. We increasingly find our identity in our career. Thus, the high school grades, the college degree, the master’s studies, the internship, the low-level job, the management-level job are often done out of the hope that we will advance in our desired career. But is career really the end-all and the be-all? As Mother Theresa reminded us, “God has not called us to be successful, but faithful.”

Career is not so important as attention to the really human things of life: loving, creating, caring, giving. Attention to the Good, the True, and the Beautiful is infinitely more important than scoring that great job. Jobs are good; but being human is even more important.

So here’s a wild idea: perhaps loving your roommate, next-door neighbor, coworker, boss, sibling, parent, friend, spouse is more important than getting a great job. And here’s a challenge: when you’re at your job tomorrow, stop and think about the significance of your work. Ask yourself, “Is what I am making of any truly good benefit to man?” Or “does this service really and truly help my fellow man. Does it not help just his body but his soul?” Why shouldn’t we ask those questions? If it is a terrifying question, I suspect it is only because we would find that so many of our jobs are not so important. If you cannot conceive of any possible way how your job is not serving your fellow man, ask God to show you how you can. And ask people whom you respect for ideas on how to do that. If you still find that your job isn't serving people in any meaningful way, drop it. Find another job. If it is really true that the soul is more important than the body, then why do we not think about the effects that our daily work has on the souls of people (and on our soul)?

Now we must always remember: work is beautiful and good. This is not a diatribe on work. Indeed, in our work we can do one of the most human things of life: create, make, produce. But we should always subordinate our career, our job to the really important things. So long as we do our work simply to earn the paycheck, or simply to pay the bills, or to put food on the table, or to advance to the "better" position, we are missing out on just how beautiful work can be.

Career is overrated. Faithfulness is what matters. Love God, love people. In all your typing, reading, writing, teaching, playing, eating, talking, producing, serving--in all these things, pay attention to the important things of life.

7 comments:

Justin said...

What a *great* post, David.

The writer of Ecclesiastes, should he be alive today, would be making comments on your Blog about similar thoughts that he learned in his grand project to find something of substance in a world that feels so transient and unpredictable and uncontrollable.

'Enjoy your job', he'd say, and the 'wife of your youth' (if you have one) but when all is said and done, 'Fear God, and keep his commands.' There is more to say about this, of course. But I guess that will do as a point of summary.

I'm sending this to my friends...

Anthony Douglas said...

I'd add - not just that we value efficiency and results etc - we also find our self-worth in them. That is, it's not just important that the job is done well, but that it's done well because the doer is competent. Happy accidents are all very nice, but what we really want are the professionals.

And this is the great lure. Career is our identity. It's why some are ashamed of their work, and dread the opening question, and others inordinately proud.

I spent a three month period working for an IT consulting firm once. One of the first things they did was to send me, a mere support person, not even a proper consultant, from Australia to the UK for training. I couldn't believe how strongly my ego responded, how important it made me feel.

And then I discovered that the firm was poorly managed; the work they did was not what they sold; and I spent the rest of my time there stretching out about one week's worth of work and desperately bored.

Sums up the ironic deceit of careers, I reckon.

cafedave said...

A useful post; helpful to remember that whatever career decisions loom ahead, they're not the be-all and end-all.

Necrozma said...

I don't think we've met yet, but I found a link to this post from Justin's site. I agree with your post in spirit; if I had written it, I would emphasize the parts where you encourage people to find and do work that is meaningful.

I spent the first 3-4 years of my post-college career being content with having a job that wasn't very challenging and rewarding and justified it because it gave me time to serve in various ministries at church and hang out with friends. However, at the end of that time, I was dissatisfied with that arrangement. I had a limited view of what "ministry" was--that it only encompassed the activities that go on within the church. I even considered going to seminary because I had thought that all "secular" work was meaningless.

I've eventually come to think of ministry as what I do to serve people. I've come to see work as my ministry. Not just being able to have relationships with non-believing coworkers but that the work itself is ministry (I'm an IT consultant for a software company). And being a full time pastor is just a job, just as any other line of work is. It's also not necessarily any more "holy" than any other job--we are all called to be ministers of the Gospel, whether we are pastors or not.

I always tell people that I believe someone who spends 40 hour a week in an unchallenging, unfulfilling job is less healthy than someone who spends 80 hours a week in a challenging, fulfilling job; yet I usually hear more people bashing workaholism than people who do meaningless work.

Unknown said...

i totally get your post. thank you for the insightfulness and the challenge.

so often, my career-driven friends goad me to take a risk and go somewhere else and deal with the immigration matter later (i'm a canuck). whether it's my insecurity of getting another job and/or being plain lazy, i just don't believe in jumping from jobs to jobs, only because "it's time to get moving and get on the same IPO train as everyone else." if that's so, productivity in general would be so low in america (it's bad as is, don't you think?). i think faithfulness in one's work place is just as important too, not to ride the emotional work highness.

now, about your comment about "loving your roommate..." that's a tall order :P

sam said...

I think that the fall has changed the nature of work. In Genesis 2 work is bound up with our worship of God. But in Genesis 3 work is tied up with food.

17 To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,' "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life. 18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field. 19 By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return."

We mustn't therefore view our work in terms of creation alone. We must ask ourselves: "How does Jesus’ death change my perspective on work?"

In Hebrews 2:9 it says...

9But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone. 10In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering.

Jesus, in his death and his resurrection brings us to glory. He crowns us with glory and honour because he suffered death on our behalf and takes us to glory. In other words, by faith in Jesus we fulfill Psalm 8. We become the perfect worker with Jesus.

And so our primary work ass Christians is to believe. Whilst it’s good and right, because of creation to work secular jobs, our primary work is to believe.

Jesus says… "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." (John 6)

And that frees us from fretting about the type of work we do. It frees us from viewing ourselves the way the world does. Successful if you’re a career person, unsuccessful if you’re not!

It means whatever work we do the most the most important thing is we keep trusting in Jesus. That’s it! That’s the work God wants from us first and foremost!

This is a bit bitsy but I may blog my talk on work in the next little while.

ehadas said...

Thanks for praising my book. I am delighted to find a sympathetic reader. Just a hint, though - my first name is Edward.